- Home »
- Programs »
- Athletic Training Major »
- Alumni Spotlight »
- Tamara Valovich McLeod, Ph.D., ATC, CSCS '96
Tamara Valovich McLeod, Ph.D., ATC, CSCS ‘96
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY, Education - Sports Medicine, August 2002
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
Dissertation: The use of the Standardized Assessment of Concussion and Balance Error Scoring System and learning effects in youth sports participants.
MASTER OF SCIENCE, Kinesiology, August 1998
University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado
Thesis: Alterations in the blood pressure response to an acute resistance exercise task.
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE, Sportsmedicine, May 1996
Mercyhurst College, Erie, Pennsylvania
- Co-Principal Project Director: The Clinical Outcomes Research Education for Athletic Trainers (CORE-AT) Program: Training Clinical Researchers for Evidenced-Based Practice. Funded by the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Research and Education Foundation. April 2008.
The goal of the Clinical Outcomes Research Education for Athletic Trainers (CORE-AT) Project is to educate and train post-professional athletic training students to utilize technology for the collection of healthcare outcomes data in order to practice in an evidence-based manner.
- Promotion to Associate Professor, A.T. Still University, 2007
- Nominee for the Freddie H. Fu New Investigator Award, NATA Foundation, 2007 & 2008.
- Journal of Athletic Training, 1st runner-up Non-Research Manuscript of the Year, 2006.
- Scholar of the Year, Arizona School of Health Sciences, 2005 & 2007
- Nominee for the David H. Perrin Doctoral Dissertation Award, National Athletic Trainers’ Association Research and Education Foundation, 2005
- Sports Health Care Faculty of the Year, Arizona School of Health Sciences, 2004
- National Athletic Trainers’ Association Research and Education Foundation, Finalist for the Masters Student Research Poster Award, 2003, 2004 (Faculty Advisor).
- Married to Ian McLeod, PA-C, ATC, who is employed in a family medicine/sports medicine practice.
- Mother to Allister (May 2005) and Kalyn (Feb 2007)
- Completed the Arizona Rock and Roll Marathon in 2004 and 2008
- Being able to balance work and family!
- Presenting one of our concussion studies at the 3rd International Conference on Concussion in Sport, Zurich, Switzerland, October 2008.
- Writing Group Chair: NATA Position Statement on Pediatric Overuse Injuries (in progress).
- Writing Group Member: NATA Position Statement on the Management of Sport-Related Concussion.
- Writing Group & Consultant: Appropriate Medical Care for Secondary School-Aged Athletes Task Force. National Athletic Trainers’ Association and Inter-Association Task Force.
Service to the Profession
National Athletic Trainers’ Association Pronouncement Committee on Overuse Injuries in the Young Athlete, Committee Chair; January 2006-present.
National Athletic Trainers’ Association Research and Education Foundation (NATA-REF), District 7 Chair and Board Member; June 2005-present.
Brain Injury Association of Arizona, Board of Directors; November 2005-present.
Arizona Interscholastic Association Sports Medicine Committee; October 2004-present.
Arizona Athletic Trainers’ Association. Newsletter Committee Chair / Newsletter Editor; April 2004-present.
National Athletic Trainers’ Association Women in Athletic Training Committee, District 7 Chair & Professional Development Sub-Committee Chair, June 2004-June 2007.
Appropriate Medical Care for Secondary School-Aged Athletes Task Force. National Athletic Trainers’ Association and Inter-Association Task Force, Writing Group & Consultant; October 2003-September 2004.
National Athletic Trainers’ Association Pronouncement Committee on the Management of Sports-Related Concussions, Committee member; September 2002-October 2004.
Journal of Athletic Training: April 2000-present
Editorial Board Member: January 2005-present
Manuscript Reviewer: January 2000-January 2005
Editorial Assistant: April 2000-December 2001
Journal of Sport Rehabilitation: April 2002-present
Editorial Board Member: March 2008-present
-primarily responsible for the Critically Appraised Topics (CATS) section
Guest Reviewer; April 2002-present
Athletic Training and Sports Health Care Journal: Editorial Board Member: June 2008-present
Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise: Guest Reviewer; June 2005-present
Sports Health: Guest Reviewer; July 2008-present
Perceptual and Motor Skills: Guest Reviewer; April 2005-present
Athletic Therapy Today: Guest Reviewer; November 2003-present
Board of Certification: Home Study Reviewer for the BOC Approved Provider Program; May 2004-present.